This French Children Yogurt Cake recipe is taught by grandmothers in France and it's designed to teach toddlers the concept of simple measurements, as it only requires a bowl, a big spoon, a cake tin, and a yoghurt cup!
For the cake
1 x 150g tub of vegan unsweetened coconut yogurt (alternatively, any yogurt plain or flavoured can be used)
2 x 150g tub of self-raising flour (use empty yogurt cup to measure your ingredients)
1 x 150g tub of caster sugar
½ x 150g tub of olive oil
Egg replacer equivalent to 3 eggs
1 x teaspoon of vanilla bean extract
1 x pinch of salt
1 x 150g tub of mixed fresh berries (optional)
Lemon zest glaze (optional)
¾ x cup icing sugar
¼ x cup lemon juice
1 x zest of whole lemon
1 x tablespoon vegan butter (alternatively, any butter or spread)
1 x pinch of salt (optional – alternatively use salted butter)
For the cake
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
2. Grease or line your tin (recommend a 5-inch / 8-inch tin or loaf tin)
3. Combine all the ingredients except the fresh berries and stir well with a spoon until all the dry ingredients are moist
4. Fold in your fresh berries (alternatives like lemon zest, choc chip or nuts can also be used at this point)
5. Pour batter into tin and bake for 25-35 min or until lightly brown on top. You can check by using a toothpick, sticking it in the middle and if it comes out clean it should be ready.
6. Take the cake out of the tin and let cool
Lemon zest glaze
1. Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl
2. Microwave for 45 seconds and stir well to remove clumps.
3. Allow to cool for a few minutes then pour over your cake.
(Tip: If your glaze is too runny, add more icing sugar, and then pour over cool cake.)
(Click to watch the segment)